EE Community and EE Forum

Join the EE Community and Ask Questions or Discuss at the delabs EE Forum

Saturday, August 13, 2016

CFL Lamps and Simple Inverter

Kindly help me make one issue devoted to------ CFL Ballast Circuits----viz. circuits to drive a 5/7/9 / 11W....upto 18 watts CFL from a 6 volts / 12v DC battery, or Solar Panel,(or 220 volts AC Mains) Believe me, this is a crying need ,of the day, all over.

The market is flooded with poor Lanterns, that work for 2 to 4 months then they can't be repaired even. Some makes are either high-cost/high Quality, or low cost - low quality. Custom Ballast ICs coming nowadays are no use, because they are obsolete in 4 to 6 to 12 months..

Also, the circuit must have a (SMPS) power supply too, with overcharging * under voltage cutoff, as the CFL goes black, on being switched at low voltage.

mail from SRM

I can try to help you, Please Explain your need. Which way do you want me to help you.

CFL Lamps and Simple Inverter

A simple inverter for florescent lamps
This inverter is very easy to construct, reliable, and even powerful enough to light up a 15W florescent tube (if you cool your transistor well). The only hard-to-find piece of this baby is the so-called yellow inverter transformer

Oh no! Not Another CFL Inverter
This one’s a beauty. It will drive multiple CFLs without the need for heatsinks on the MOSFETs. Fit heatsinks and you can run even more, up to a total of 100W.

I can design with some SMPS type chips. Overcharging is only in Emergency Light Lamps. CFL's do not have this as they work on 230V. Make a more detailed specification. Then I can think more about it.

delabs

the problem is NOT that simple.............. problem is to RUN a CFL bulb, from a 6v/12v DC battery. Again, the problems are-----

1)Efficiency, of energy utilization, in the battery
2)Without using Custom LSIs(which go obsolete Unavailable in 6/12 months time and are replaced constantly ,by ever more sophisticated costlier models
3)Blackening of the ends of CFL, near electrodes
4)LIFE of CFL(supposedly--12000hours for European CFLs;8000hours for Advts;5000hours maybe ,reallife...
5)Simple Circuit, which can be easily repaired in the field, by non-technical people in village/small towns.
6)Low Cost--so, even the poorest person can buy use it
7)Fast Charging , of the Battery(out of 24 hours--likely to be used for 4/6/or 8 hours .So, it has to be charged in the balance of 24 hours...
8)Low Battery High Battery Cut-off; to prevent damage to battery CFL
9)Compliance with the Basic Ignition Data, furnished by CFL manufacturers.These are like----filament voltage,Ignition Voltage, Current etc

mail from SRM

Hobby DIY Electronics